International Theoretical and Practical Conference «Contemporary Approaches to Electric and Electronic Waste Recycling and Disposal»
December 03, 2010
The International Theoretical and Practical Conference “Contemporary Approaches to Electric and Electronic Waste Recycling and Disposal” was held on the 11-12 th of November in Russian Gubkin State University of Oil and Gas in Moscow.
The conference, devoted to actual problems of collecting, recycling and disposal of the waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE), was held on the initiative of Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Russian Federation, UNIDO Centre for International Industrial Co-operation in the Russian Federation, JSC “Moscow Committee for Science and Technologies”and Fund “National Cleaner Production Centre of UNIDO in the Russian Federation”.
The conference was attended by over 80 delegates from different regions of the Russian Federation, as well as experts from Belarus, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, USA, France, Japan, Czech Republic, etc.
The conference participants have discussed the following issues:
- Ecological, legal and organizational aspects of WEEE management, the problems of WEEE collection;
- Change of the existing legislation on production and consumption waste, the legislative initiatives in WEEE collection and recycling;
- Modern technologies and scientific research in WEEE recycling, repulping and neutralization;
- International practice in the field of WEEE management;
- Participation of civil society institutions in sustainable waste management system development in the Russian Federation.
The main focus of the Conference was given to the improvement of legislative and regulatory framework of the Russian Federation in the field of waste management and world experience of industrial development of secondary material resources, problems of implementation and enforcement of legislative requirements for WEEE management, including collection, recycling and disposal of this waste as well as the modern technology and scientific research in the field of WEEE processing, recycling and disposal.