The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is a specialized agency in the United Nations system. The Organization’s primary objective is the promotion and acceleration of industrial development in developing countries and countries with economies in transition. The Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in three thematic priorities, each of which represents different aspects of Inclusive and Sustainable Industrial Development (ISID):
- Creating shared prosperity
- Advancing economic competitiveness
- Safeguarding the environment
The UNIDO Centre for international industrial cooperation in Russia is an integral part of UNIDO and its main objective is to promote international economic, technological, industrial and technical-scientific cooperation between Russian enterprises, associations, organizations and governmental companies, corporations and other enterprises, organizations and companies in both developed and developing countries. The Centre widely uses the methodology, tools and software developed and accumulated by the organization over 50 years of activity in different regions of the world.
- carries out the selection, development and coordination of UNIDO programs and projects in the Russian Federation and other UNIDO Member States;
- mobilizes investment resources for implementation of various industrial investment projects in Russia, developing countries and countries with economies in transition through joint ventures, technology transfers, sharing technological know-how and marketing expertise, organizational support and other forms of business partnerships;
- provides assistance in establishing contacts between business representatives from developed and developing countries and Russian government agencies, local authorities, the Chamber of Commerce Industry and specialized consulting companies;
- performs representative functions of UNIDO in the Russian Federation.
The UNIDO CIIC in Russia is a part of UNIDO global network of Investment and Technology Promotion Offices (ITPOs).